/Arum Says Whyte Should Be Next For Wilder-Fury Winner – BoxingScene.com

Arum Says Whyte Should Be Next For Wilder-Fury Winner – BoxingScene.com

Share and Alert them all
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Top Rank’s CEO Bob Arum, who promotes Tyson Fury, expects Dillian Whyte to get his mandatory crack at the WBC world title in the near future.

Fury will challenge Deontay Wilder for the WBC world title on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Whyte, who holds the WBC’s interim-title, is the mandatory challenger to the crown.

dillian-whyte (4)_8

The WBC ordered the Wilder-Fury winner to face Whyte by February of 2021.

There is an immediate rematch clause in the Wilder-Fury contract – where the lose, regardless of the outcome, can force a third meeting. The first bout ended in a controversial twelve round split draw in December 2018.

If a third bout takes place, it would happen likely around the summer.

Whyte is slated to fight in April or May, against former world champion Alexander Povetkin.

Whyte could get a shot even sooner – if the Wilder-Fury loser takes a pass on a trilogy fight.

“Whyte is a good fighter. He’ll get his shot down the road,” Arum told Sky Sports News.

“Whyte, if he keeps fighting and winning, should be next after the trilogy occurs. That would be appropriate. Everybody knows there is a three-fight deal and the loser may pull the plug. But Whyte should be next..”

Whyte has been the top rated contender, under the WBC, since 2018. He’s not sure why the sanctioning body has passed him over numerous times.

“Ask [WBC president] Mauricio Sulaiman. Tweet him every day until he gives a realistic answer. So far his answers haven’t been acceptable. Not only have I been the No 1 contender for so long, I’ve continued to fight top 10 contenders. Loyalty is an understatement! I’ve won every WBC belt that I’ve been eligible for,” Whyte said.